10 Things You Need to Know About Yahoo’s Newest CEO Marissa Mayer
*Link to original article here
Former key spokesperson for Google, and mama-to-be, Marissa Mayer, has just been appointed as president and CEO of Yahoo!
When news of Mayer’s pregnancy came out in June, none of the board directors batted an eye. A bold move, Mayer says, that shows Yahoo’s forward thinking.
A statement from Yahoo! said that Mayer coming on board signals a renewed focus on product innovation to drive user experience. Yahoo! Co-founder, David Filo, says he is looking forward to working with Mayer to enhance Yahoo’s product offerings.
As Google’s first female engineer, Mayer is responsible for designing and engineering a suite of geographical products including Google Maps and Google Earth.
Mayer holds a B.S in symbolic systems and a M.S in computer science from Stanford University, with a specialization in artificial intelligence in both.
While Mayer’s intelligence and ground-breaking work impresses us, she’s also a well-rounded individual, which is yet another example of how being a modern woman means working on having it all.
Here are 10 things we learned about the Finnish maven, thanks to her Twitter account:
- She’s having a boy! Mayer announced that her and husband, Zack Bogue, are expecting a baby boy in October.
- She’s watching Breaking Bad. Although she is late hopping aboard the Breaking Badbandwagon, she plans to play catch-up by watching an episode every day.
- She’s a fan of mariachi bands. In honour of Cinco de Mayo, Mayer signed up for “on-demand, mariachi” where you can request a fiesta.
- She’s a Skier. Vail is great, Marissa, but nothing rivals our Canadian slopes!
- She’s the go-to-gal for Holiday gadget shopping. Check out her picks at Geek Sugar
- She’s a golfer. The lucky gal has golfed in Hawaii
- She enjoys McDonald’s Shamrock shakes. Who doesn’t get excited when these frozen delights make their yearly appearance? There are less than eight months until the next batch!
- She ran in the San Francisco marathon.
- She’s a daredevil. She participated in the zero gravity experience aboard a modified Boeing 727.
- She’s stylish. Vanity Fair listed her on their annual best-dressed poll. Did we mention her wedding appeared in Vogue?